Friday, August 6

Keith Olbermann on Prop 8 - Video now working

I married my husband 2 years ago, in a beautiful hotel just outside Bristol. Both of our families turned up, which was something of a shock to both of us, and I can truthfully say that it was one of the happiest days of my life, if for no other reason because it gave me a reason to take a two week honeymoon in Florida.

Before 2005 this wouldn't have been possible. Any marriage would have been unrecognised by my country. I would have no legal rights in relation to him at all. My country refused to recognise my love. Thankfully my country saw common sense.

That there are places in the Western world that still refuse to see this love astounds me, and that, in California, people actually voted to deny this love, is something I can't begin to understand.
Proposition 8 being overturned is as massive victory for what is right. This isn't a moral argument, or a political debate. This is a simple question of prejudice vs 'what is right'. And 'what is right' is finaly gaining the upper hand.

Shortly after Prop 8 was first passed Keith Olbermann gave a special opinion on it on MSNBC. I have never seen this before today, but a request as elegant, as beautiful, and as 'right' as this can only be a spiritual one. They are some of the truest, and most powerful, words I have ever heard.





Congratulations to California for finally waking up. The next step is the high court. Let's hope they do know the difference between what is right, and what God says.
Stolen from the friendly Atheist

This blog is a baby. Help it to grow. If you like what you've read please share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment